Not everyone feels comfortable visiting their dentist either because of their fear of the dental instruments and the discomfort they may experience during dental procedures. Some people have a sensitive gag reflex as well.
At DTLA Smile, we offer dental sedation to quell the anxiety and dental phobia of our patients.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry involves the use of medication and other methods to offer a comfortable, anxiety-free dental experience to patients. There are mainly three levels of sedation available - minimal, moderate, and deep sedation, and it is chosen depending on the patient's type of treatment.
Who Can Opt for Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry can benefit you if you experience the following:
- Dental fear or anxiety
- Difficulty to stay still for the procedure for a long time
- Have a terrible gag reflex
- Have a lot of dental work, painful procedures, or complex dental treatments
- Lower pain threshold
- Have extremely sensitive teeth
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
- Sedation Dentistry helps patients relieve tension and anxiety about dental visits.
- Sedation dentistry offers a relaxed state of mind during complex, lengthy dental procedures for patients with bad gag reflexes.
- Since sedatives are administered in a dental office only by professional experts and are regulated by FDA, they are safe.
- With sedation dentistry, patients can undergo comfortable and painless dental treatments.
- When the patients stay relaxed during dental procedures, the dentist can work faster, more efficiently.
Types of Sedation
At DTLA Smiles, we provide the following types of sedation dentistry as per the requirements:
Here, sedation is administered in the form of an oral pill and is used when minor sedation is needed. With oral sedation, patients will remain awake and conscious but achieve a relaxed state of mind, decreasing their discomfort.
Nitrous Oxide Sedation
Nitrous oxide or laughing gas is administered to patients through a breathing mask placed over the patient's nose to evoke a feeling of relaxation and sedation.
Intravenous (IV) Sedation
The dentist administers intravenous sedation by injecting it directly into the patient's bloodstream. It is used for comprehensive or lengthy dental procedures and is done under expert supervision.
General anesthesia is administered during lengthy, complicated dental procedures and is usually used to put patients into deep sleep. General anesthesia is administered either through an injection or direct inhalation, and the patient stays asleep during the entire dental procedure.
To find out more about the dental services we offer at DTLA Smile, Los Angeles, CA, call (213) 688-2828 or schedule an online consultation. You can also visit Dentist Los Angeles CA at 104 West 7th St, #2 Los Angeles, CA, 90014.